Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Conflict Theory

After discussing the different family theories in class, I was fascinated by each one of them. I really believe that they are valuable tools in understanding family relations.
I was talking with my husband about conflict theory and I mentioned that it is natural to have conflict in a marriage relationship when two people are so close. He had an interesting insight into this. He said that many people dream of the "perfect" relationship where no conflicts exist. This is a dream that will never happen. Often conflict comes from a difference of ideas and backgrounds. He said that if you really want to marry someone who shares the same ideas and background as you, you would have to marry your brother. Even with your brother, just think of how much you fought as kids! And in that case you had very similar views and background and still fought! How natural is a little conflict in family relationships? I think it is quite natural. However, if conflicts are dealt with in a rational way, there is no need for them to cause negativity in a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment